I met Janis when she attended my “1st Steps for Starting a Business” class last month. She is a fine art photographer and has been self employed for over 20 years. Her photographs have been purchased by health organizations for placement in hospitals and clinics and provide wonderful uplifting images of nature.
Four years ago, she became interested in social media and how it could help her promote her business. Janis, who holds an Masters in Fine Arts, recently completed the Social Media Certificate program at Madison College. She wants to assist other creatives to ramp up their entrepreneurial efforts by having a web presence and participating in social media marketing.
She told me that her mission is to help others expand their artistic vision by reaching more people using the internet. Using the Springboard for the Arts in St. Paul as a model, Janis decided launched a social media consulting business. She assists artists, art organizations, small business owners and nonprofits to find marketing solutions using the internet. Check out her website and her beautiful photos.
Janis suggests that social media can “transform your business”. She states; “Here you are , exploding with this fantastic, brilliant creative idea that you want the world to know about and beat a path to your door. How can you possibly spend time on marketing and turn your idea into an art form at the same time? The answer is to use social media to get the word out. Those people who are listening, are following you, are your supporters and will buy your product.”
I asked her to give some specific benefits to using social media and she shared the following:
- Increases traffic to your website
- Improves your search engine optimization (SEO). Better SEO = being found = more sales. 93% of all purchasing decisions start with an online search.
- Amplifies your message through word of mouth.
- Communicates with and engages your fans. Suggested channels: Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, YouTube
- Spreads your content beyond your locality. You have the potential to attract potential customers world wide!